Sunday, July 7, 2019

A Living Will for Goals

Living Will: a written statement detailing a person's desires in circumstances in which they are no longer able to express informed consent.

For teachers, this time of the year lends itself to reflection. Unlike most professions, teaching is given this hiatus of breathing time, a definitive break between one term and the next, during which we can naturally reset our goals and recharge our bodies. We consider the prior year and look to the year ahead, wondering what we will try to do differently. When I see others stating the goals they are setting, "I will not worry about what others think.", "I will spend more time taking care of myself.", "I will incorporate more technology into my lessons.", etc... I am inspired by the ideas and want to jump on board. However, knowing myself, I am aware that if I were to simply state these goals as my own, my efforts would quickly fall into failure. In fact, when folks ask me what my goals will be, I hesitate to answer. This is not an innocuous question requiring a mere, frivolous response, but is an imperative aspect of my profession demanding much thought, editing, and personal acceptance before I will utter aloud the sought after reply. This time of reflection is a gift I give to myself and with the gift comes a responsibility to take seriously the steps necessary to push myself toward growth and improvement. In the end, all the work in determining my direction can be viewed as a Living Will for My Goals, one that will help to keep my goals thriving even in the midst of struggle.

How does one ensure achievement of the goals set for oneself?  I am a stubborn woman...in many ways.  Not a judgement, just an observation.  As such, simply stating a goal though it may sound fabulous to the listener, is fruitless for me. For some, accountability helps them achieve success. For me, stating my goal aloud so I have witnesses and folks to hold me accountable doesn't influence my success because in the end, I am only marginally concerned about how I am perceived by others. For others, having a team helps to ensure participation and success in goal achievement. However even getting others on board, including them in the desire to achieve the end result, will not move me closer to reaching my goals. Why? Because in all of these scenarios the goal has remained mere words.  It is a statement on a page matching the thought in my head; no closer to completion than the "To Do" list on the fridge. It neglects to include two imperative ingredients toward my success; a plan and discipline.

A Plan:  So let's say I have set my goal at keeping my wellness a priority.  Now what? I need to know what this will look like in the short and long term, and every point in between. My plan of action will dictate the small and large steps I need to employ. Perhaps I will start small, spending five minutes each morning and evening evaluating my progress. Each step of the plan will lead me closer to my goal of personal wellness as a priority. Each step in the plan is a measurable piece that can be evaluated at the end of the day. It is black or white: either I did it or I didn't, and tomorrow I will either repeat or improve. The plan keeps me focused and on track but what will keep me following my plan every day?  Discipline...

Discipline: Discipline is unwavering action toward my goal.  Much like a Living Will, the plan is constructed when I am of sound mind and body, in order to be relied upon when exhaustion or indifference set in and I need help staying true to my goal. Discipline helps me to avoid the temptations to stray, and guides me to come back to the original goal when straying inevitably occurs. Consider distance running. When running long distances, at every mile the runner's mind will try to compel the body to stop and walk. So how do distance runners do it?  With a plan...and discipline. The plan might be as simple as not even entertaining the thought of stopping...aches and pains, fatigue and exhaustion, are not dictating actions, the plan is; and discipline is keeping the runner focused on that plan.

And so as I consider the year that has passed and the one ahead, I will spend time deeply considering the goals I will set for myself in order to become closer to the best Me possible.  I will construct a plan that will guide me toward achievement and I will practice the discipline necessary to stay on track. In the end, I will draft a "Living Will for My Goals"; one that will keep me strong when I am weak, focused when I am distracted, and motivated when I am apathetic. Only when these pieces are in place will I be ready to share my goals aloud, holding only myself accountable for my success or failure of their achievement.