Saturday, August 17, 2019

Am I a Little Too...Me? The World Needs Your 'You-ness'!

We've all heard the wellness warning that "One can't pour from an empty vessel." That sentiment is incredibly important but I'd like to posit that while it is true that you cannot pour from your cup if you allow it to go dry, you have no choice but to freely give from the surplus of your deep and abundant well. You hold your 'you-ness' in a well that cannot help but be full of you at all times. It is your essence! In fact, anyone who comes into your life will be generously showered with the contents of your well just by being near you. That's the beauty of your 'you-ness'.  So what are the contents of your well?  That's what we will hope to find out in the next few lines. This is one message that I hope to pass along to my students when I meet them in a couple weeks...and it is one we can all stand to remember each day we are called to be alive.

See that picture?  That's me trying to enjoy an afternoon summertime snooze.  See my blanket?  That is the newest Maccaroni dog, Mocha.  Mocha likes to be close...that is the gift she gives to my house full of prickly teenagers. She doesn't worry about how her desire to be close might affect the target, she just spends her time being uniquely and beautifully Mocha. Her desire and the ensuing gift she bestows come without thought, without provocation and without cost. It is just who she is, and anyone who is willing to be in her vicinity becomes the receiver of her 'Mocha-ness'. When was the last time you gave of yourself without worry as to how you would be perceived? I think we would be wise to adopt the abandon with which dogs give from their well...they don't concern themselves with how their gift will be viewed. They live in the notion that their gift is necessary and the happiness of receiving will mirror the happiness they feel in the gifting. That is pure freedom to be oneself.

So what's in your well? How does its contents affect those with whom you come in contact? And are you able to give without concern for how others will perceive your intentions? I invite you to arrive at your answers by following my journey into the topic. I imagine, and sometimes allow myself the luxury of worry over the fact that I can be a little overwhelming to some people who are not accustomed to my ways. My longtime friends get 'me', but those newly introduced into the vicinity of 'Donna-ness' might not. My 'me' openly enjoys the chance to tell someone, especially students and co-workers, when I notice them do something amazing or even just on a regular day, how awesome I believe them to be. I simply can't help myself. I'm known to gush, leave packages and send little "love notes" throughout the day. To do so makes my heart sing! This is the abundance of my well. Do I sometimes question how I will be perceived? Daily would not be an understatement! But I can't be any less me because of my concern over what might be in the minds of others. I do not, and cannot, control how I am perceived.

And so, here it is...after much deliberation and self-reflection, I have decided that I am exactly who I was intended to be. I am Donna, Lover of Life, Giver of Love and Master of Giving. Accepting that this is who I am helps me to rest easier, as it guides me to believe and accept that the people put in my path need to experience what I have to offer from my well. I truly believe there are no coincidences as to the people brought along our journey, only blessings to be sought. It is up to us to figure out why we were called into each life that crosses our path.  And so on those days when I feel that 'me being me' might be a little too much for those around me, I remind myself that no one will be made to cross my path if they were not intended to experience a little bit of 'Donna-ness'. Overwhelming as I may be, my well is full of something that others need. Reminding myself in this way, I rest easily, knowing that I tried to be part of the love that needs to be inflicted on this world in monumental amounts.

Check out this quote by Mark Twain: "Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."  Yes!!!  We have much work to do in being uniquely us right where we are planted!  And we have in abundance everything we need to affect others with our uniqueness at every turn of the day.

And so I end this post with a challenge disguised as a few reflection questions. I implore you to spend a little time ruminating on the possibilities suggested by these inquiries. I can't wait to discuss this message with the students with whom I will be blessed to spend the upcoming school year and help each of them determine the contents of their wells and explore the beauty of sharing themselves.

  • What is in your well?  What is it that you have in abundance and are called to give with abandon? 
  • What are the folks who cross your path in need of receiving?  What are you called to receive from them? 


We need to continually ask these questions in order to allow ourselves to be all we are intended to be. We also need to steer ourselves clear of the questioning that leads to discomfort regarding our generosity of self. A dear friend of mine always warned me about staying out of the heads of others trying to figure out what they were thinking and how they were perceiving me....he would constantly remind me that it is not my role or my job to determine what they were thinking about me.  My job is to be me, as yours is to be you.  BE YOU BEAUTIFULLY, FULLY AND AWESOMELY!  No one else can do you!!! And if that means totally crawling up into the space of others to "help" them get an awesome summertime nap by impersonating a blanket, then give that gift with complete and utter abandon!