Friday, May 1, 2020

When Ship Captains Are Asked to Pilot a Plane...Happy Principal Appreciation Day!

Anyone who knows me knows that I have not used this social isolation time to sit still and be idle. It's simply not who I am. As such, I have had the joy of serving and communicating with many people and have received bits of encouragement with every encounter, whether from a six-foot distance or online. This one little nugget mailed to me in the form of a "Thank You" card seems perfect to share on this very special Principal Appreciation Day:

Find a way to be the uplifting force that someone needs today.


After the Sandy Hook tragedy in 2012, I wrote a letter to our principals thanking them for being the servant leaders that my mom-heart could count on to ensure the safety of my children as they entered the school building. There was no doubt in my mind as to the dedication each of my children's principals had for creating a safe school environment. Today, my heart echoes this very sentiment, but with a new crisis in mind. In reflecting on the role of principals in today's circumstances, and with the idea of being the force that lifts others, one thought keeps coming to mind.

Consider this: In normal times, the school is a large cruise ship coasting through each school year with our principals at the helm. Perhaps due to all my PIRATE training and connections, I imagine the happy sailors teaching their crews under the direction of adept principal captains. But on March 13th, our principals were stripped of their ship-captain badges and instead ushered onto a plane. They were given little guidance in the use of the controls and the intricacies of the cabin, even as they were suddenly expected to assume the role of pilot.

I have the privilege of watching principals from many vantage points: as faculty, parent, taxpayer and friend. I have leaned on them for direction, support, a listening ear and guidance. In this time when so few have answers, our principals have been able to ease the minds of their staff and students. This did not just happen. This is the result of past relationship building that is ongoing for principals. When in the program for Educational Administration at TCNJ, my advisor and I were in conversation over the fact that I was still uncertain as to my desire to leave the classroom to seek an administrative position. I was concerned that the administrative role would diminish my ability to deeply affect students. This very wise woman, knowing that it was in my nature to question, posed this question to me: "How many more students and families will you be able to serve if you assume a leadership position in education?" Indeed!

As I watch principals, I am in awe of their great potential to reach so many and their impeccable ability to ease the minds of students, staff and families. Thank you to all who are out there serving others in the role of principal. Your efforts are applauded, admired and appreciated more than you could ever know!

Thank you for learning to fly...for becoming a pilot...in order to be the uplifting force for so many!