Saturday, August 10, 2024

On Our Way to School, Part 2: Create Personal Habits Now


Ahhh..., August as a Teacher

That's "Ahhh...", eyelids lowered, soaking in the sunshine... 

                                not "AHHHH!!!!", eyes wide, exuding panic 

"Ahhh..., I am refreshed and excited..."

                                 not "AHHHH!!! how can this be happening???"  

That's right. I am a teacher who will go back to the classroom in September, and I am relaxed and ready to use this time to make my school year better than ever! I remember the first time I saw that little quote that circulates this time of year on social media indicating that August to a teacher is like one long Sunday night. I recall simultaneously chuckling and cringing as my understanding clicked in. The panic, the dread, the anticipation of my me-time being over. That was years ago, and since then I have contemplated the anticipatory dread vs. the incredible wisdom of this quote. I have decided that this year I want to do things differently. This year instead of lamenting the ending of summer, (or the end of each weekend on Sunday night), I want to use these eves as eves are intended to be used; to get ready, to get pumped, to prepare myself, and to celebrate what is on my horizon.

It is said that it takes about three weeks for a habit to form. Aren't we lucky then, that that is exactly how much time we have before the start of the new school year? The teaching life is a life that is wrought with transitions. As a lover of routine, this can be exceptionally challenging and a source of angst. Don't get me wrong! I appreciate and enjoy the breaks! What it means for someone like me though, is that I must figure out how to make a routine of the transitions. I need to be planful, even as I let loose and relinquish all schedules and routines. As such, I have planned to use the next three weeks to establish three healthy routines that I hope to maintain once my life involves the school schedule again. Want to join me? Let's go!

Routine #1: Make a habit of hobbies and Heart Work

Let's begin with something fun. I think of it as our Heart-Work. Look around your home at the belongings you have amassed that make you happy. What do you enjoy doing? What is it that you will be sorry to not have the time to do once school begins again? Has your guitar gathered dust? Have your running shoes become complacent in the same corner for weeks, or months? That gym membership you keep paying, stack of books you want to read, knitting needles stuck in that ball of yarn, you get the idea.  What is it that brings you joy but you have neglected due to lack of time? Now is the time! Begin today to reacquaint yourself with those things you love and those hobbies that bring you joy. Decide on a timeframe that you would like to spend doing your heart-work, and commit to that now, while you have the time. This way, when school begins, you will have carved out ways to include your hobbies in your daily life. There is no reason why we need to give up what brings our heart joy when we go back to school. 

Routine #2: Make a habit of healthy habits

I don't know about you, but for me as school starts I tend to eat whatever is on hand, neglect any exercise routine, and struggle to get to bed early enough to rejuvenate my body. Each school year, I eventually get into a better way of keeping myself healthy, but those first weeks are disastrous. This year, I hope to get myself on a good track now so that in September I will merely need to maintain, rather than begin again. What is it about treating your body and mind with care and compassion that is hardest for you? Is it getting enough sleep? Eating foods that benefit your body? Avoiding detrimental foods? Exercising enough? What? What holds you back from helping your body to serve you well and feel great? Whatever it is, now is the time to build some healthy habits that will follow you into the school year. If August is one long Sunday night, then let's use that time to decide how we want to enter the school year with healthy resting, eating and exercising habits. Something I toy with yearly is starting some type of walking club for our building...and this would lead me to Routine #3, which is a little more personal.

Routine #3: Make a habit of reaching outward

Many educators are introverts when it comes to adult relationships, even though they are driven to be around children and derive energy from classroom/educational interactions. Well OK, maybe it's just me, but I know that I don't spend enough time interacting with the adults in my vicinity, and so one final habit that I want to hone as we approach this new schoolyear is adult interacting. Here's the thing. I am the first one to secretly leave notes, little gifts and lift-you-ups around the building where I work. I LOVE to do this...stealthily; without being detected and certainly without interrupting the precious time of others. I do the same thing in my home and in my neighborhood. And so, my final attempt to create a habit before school begins will come in the form of making connections...true face-to-face connections...as I spread my messages of encouragement and support. This one will present the most challenge for me. In fact, I didn't even acknowledge it as a-work-in-progress until recently when I planned to make a gift for someone that I had all intentions of dropping off stealthily. Without knowing it, my friend made me realize the extent of my tendency when he suggested I come to see his new school building. Suddenly, instead of being able to just drop-and-go, I was going to have to interact. Ultimately, this was a gift. The visit was heartfelt and rejuvenating. It made me aware of my need to create more opportunities for these types of connections.

In what ways will you challenge yourself to build routines before the school year begins? Maybe the universality of Routines #1 and #2 above speak to you. These are habits that we all can benefit from creating. Or maybe you have something unique to you, like my Routine #3. Taking time to care for ourselves is imperative to our happiness. Taking time to care for each other has benefits as well!  Please consider taking a moment to share your healthy habits and ways that you incorporate into your life, those activities that bring you good health and abundant joy. You can certainly comment here, or you can go back to the posting where you found this link, and share your ideas there. We can all grow when we are watered with ideas and connections! Let's celebrate August as we should celebrate every Sunday night during the school year, as the eves they are, with anticipation of all the awesome that is about to come our way!

Did you miss last week's posting, On Our Way to School, Part 1? Find it here: Creating Expectations