Saturday, July 25, 2026

You Are Worth the Wait (2-minute read)

Let me set the scene: You are walking along and entering a building on a sunny morning. As you turn your body to maneuver your bags through the narrow doorway, you notice someone walking up behind you. They are strides away, but clearly, they are headed for the same doorway. What is your inner dialogue? Should you pause in order to hold the door for them? Should you move along? Are there factors that help determine your next move?

Others are around or it's only the two of you...

You are in a rush, or you have plenty of time...

You've had a rough or smooth morning...

They are a few steps away or several...

Many factors can contribute to our consideration of whether or not we pause to hold the door for someone. But do any of those factors really matter? 

Each morning as I approach the doorway, I watch in the glass reflection to see if there is anyone coming up behind me, and if they are, I wait. On the flip side, if I see someone walking ahead of me to enter the building, I make silent predictions on whether or not I am worth their wait...and then I avert my gaze to the ground to see if I hear the distinctive sound of the closing door. 

That sound...the sound of...the sound of...what?

"I didn't see you..."

"I saw you, but I didn't want to wait..."

"I saw you and it didn't even cross my mind to wait..."

"I saw you and I deliberately moved on with my day regardless..."

The sound is a sad sound. Who would it need to be for those folks to wait and hold the door? Their favorite athlete, actor or actress? The principal or superintendent? Someone who looks desperate? Someone they want to ask a favor of or with whom they want to share the latest tea?

A mindset worth considering: If I see you in the lot behind me, I will wait for you. Doesn't matter how long. YOU are worth the wait!  YOU are the person with whom the universe thought I should share this part of my day, and I will wait for YOU!

I'd love for you to share your thoughts, feelings or comments! You can comment here on the blog, online, or email me at: School2HomeConnections@outlook.com

Enjoy reading what I write? Copies of my book, Connections Across the Student Desk, are available on Barnes and Noble: LINK HERE

Wish I could come speak to your staff and colleagues? Give me the topic, I'll make it come alive! Contact me: School2HomeConnections@outlook.com