Thursday, April 9, 2020

Optimism Brings Us Out of Darkness...another short one.

Lately as I converse with people online, through text or on the phone, as soon as I say something to the effect of "When we are back..." or "This can't last forever." I am met with, "Well, don't plan on that happening any time soon." or "Looks like we are going to be like this for a long time." And I go silent, stifling my positive self-talk. I wonder if perhaps these comments come from a  place that doesn't want to be met with, "I told you so." when we are stuck inside for another month, or two, or more. Or perhaps folks are afraid to have hope shattered.

Whatever the reason, there is a choice being made in our minds. I maintain, as I always have, that there is absolutely no danger in being positive. Instead, the danger is in losing hope, living in drear and not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Does positive thinking and subsequent optimism mean that I don't see how incredibly terrible and tumultuous things are right now? Not at all! Optimism means that I look at my travel mug, the one that only a month ago sat on my desk untouched from 7:45 to my 12:24 lunchtime, and think...."soon, my friend, my lips shall be on you...drinking in your cold remains." haha!

Optimism finds the path to a smile...anyway, 


the uphill climb... not so bad when considering the reward, and 


the journey... worth every bit of the pain.  

Optimism brings us out of the darkness...even when the darkness threatens its presence for an undisclosed amount of time.

Look, I am incredibly sad with the state of the world right now...on many levels...the largest of which are the health crisis and subsequent death toll. But I am also realistically positive and incredibly excited by so much of what I see...the most of which is how closely we are all connected. I mean, if a virus can connect us, why can't viral optimism? Or infectious kindness?  Or contageious happines and laughter? It can happen! At least I choose to believe it can. Want to know the statistics, the tragedy and the turmoil, check the news. Want some hope, check in with me. Am I a fool? Absolutely!!! Of that you can be sure...and life is optimistically beautiful from this fool's perspective.