Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Welcome Back to The Happiest Place on Earth!

As we sit on the eve of the post-Winter-break return to school, many of us might be feeling less than enthusiastic about the return to the hallways. If we go on social media, we are bombarded with a plethora of posts regarding the return. We are at the end of our leave, standing on the precipice of months before our next long respite. We feel the pull of the days ahead, knowing that we are in for the long haul. The feeling we are experiencing can appropriately be termed, "dread", for after such a nice couple weeks of waking at whim and as the joke goes, using the bathroom whenever we wish, the fact is, our break time is over. Sugar Plum Fairies, Elves on Shelves and Dreidels are already distant memories, put on hold for another 355 days or so, and the New Year is upon us with the reminder of expectations and hopes that only we can control.

One of the most popular sentiments shared over the last couple of days is how, as much as we might not want to return, there are students who are looking forward to the return to routine, attention and positive atmosphere. There are those students for whom 'break' was not pleasurable. Perhaps they stayed home alone much of the time as parents worked, or maybe food was not as readily available as it is during the school day, so they are anticipating the return to school, and the return to the safety of your classroom. While these are valuable reasons to look forward to the return and this knowledge might help some of us to find the strength to return on a positive note, how long will this sustain our desire to be in the classroom? A day? Maybe two?

Listen, it's no lie that most of us teach because we love children and want to be around them.  Knowing that we change lives daily and that we might be the only bright spot in the life of a child does wonders for our heart, sustaining us on the days when times are rough. This is good! This is necessary! This is why we do what we do! However, is it really wise to have this kind of reliance based on the needs of others? Is fulfilling the needs of others truly a reason for us to feel sustained and purposeful? What happens then, when we are no longer needed in that way? Just as in our family, spousal and other relationships we must find our own purpose, our own happiness, so too in teaching.

Let's make believe I no longer needed to work. I suddenly no longer needed to show up and earn a living. Maybe I hit the lottery that I never play, or perhaps I met the millionaire that would provide for my family and deliver the promise of a life devoid of financial concerns. Know what? I would still show up tomorrow. Because the kids might need me, yes. But its more than that. It is really because my heart experiences one of its happiest feelings when I am in my classroom! That's the truth! When I stand at my doorway and welcome students and staff to spend time with me, I am in my zone. I am happy.  I am fulfilled. And I experience all of this whether or not I am needed by those around me. So yes, you read me correctly... my classroom is a source of joy and I need to be in school!

A couple years ago I had the honor of accompanying some of my special students on a day trip to Disney. We awoke early in the morning and boarded a plane for "The Happiest Place on Earth" and returned late that same night. Upon my return to school the following day, one of my hallway neighbors and dearest friends allowed me to be greeted at the door by a sign that read, "Welcome back to the (second) happiest place on earth." I get teary still when I recall the moment I saw that sign. Exhausted from the previous day's adventure to Disney, I read that sign and was overwhelmed with happiness and fulfillment in my work, in my colleagues, in my students, in my classroom, in my school....in my life, because that sign was a reminder to me of what is created when my students and I combine!!! There was nowhere else I wanted to be at that moment.

That feeling of abundance in joy when certain souls mix together is the feeling that sustains me, even on the days when I would prefer to sleep in, read all day or do any number of things that make my heart sing. My classroom, with my students, is one of the happiest places I am blessed to spend my days. And that, my friends, is where I choose to let my mind go tonight as I drift off to sleep at the end of my Winter break. Good night! Sleep well and I hope you dream of ways to make tomorrow a magical day for you and your students as you all convene once again to enjoy your own unique version of  "The Happiest Place on Earth"!