Thursday, January 30, 2020

Lesson from a Zinnia: Bloom Where You Are Planted

Humans have a penchant for comparing and looking beyond what we have to what we still desire. I suppose to a certain extent, this is what keeps us from becoming complacent in the belief that being good is good enough. But at what point does this type of unquenchable yearning become detrimental to our well-being and happiness? Further, at what point does it keep us from fidelity to our very purpose? 

I have had the joy of living a pretty challenging journey. One of the lessons I continue to learn is to live each day with deliberate action toward my purpose. Along the way, there continue to be obstacles and interferences that try to pull me away from where I am meant to be in order to do the work I have been created to do. And while the recipients of my purpose might change over time, the desire to live my intention is never vague. This strength, this fidelity of purpose, applies to both my personal and professional life. In my personal life, purpose has pulled me to make sure I am providing the best environment in which my children will flourish. In my professional life, my purpose calls me to provide a safe environment for my students so that they can become the best versions of themselves. Wait, did you see that? Similar purpose, varying roads. Know why? Because I believe our purpose is ingrained in our very being and leads us to the place where we need to spread our essence. 

We are meant to bloom where we are planted. We are not meant to shun the environment or look to neighboring fields with envy. We are not meant to judge our surroundings with a mind that wishes things were different. We are meant to find a place to set our roots so that our bloom can bring its intended joy to those who witness us living our purpose. In order to bloom, a flower must soak up the sun and accept the surroundings. It must drink in the water and take purchase in the soil so as to not be uprooted or bent or deterred. Can we really do that? I know we can!

As an educator, what is your purpose? Really...what makes this profession matter to you? Why are you here? I am not going to answer that for you because the reason is uniquely yours, but I challenge you to answer it for yourself. Answer it now, tomorrow, and every day following. And then, with that in mind at all times, consider those things about your present educational position that cause you to not be content. Are the two, purpose and discontent, related at all? I'm sorry if this is not making sense yet, but please be patient here.

The impetus for this post has been ongoing. I have been noticing a general feeling of unhappiness. Perhaps it is the time of year here in the Northeastern United States. The weather is cold and dreary. We are in the throes of cold and flu season. We just finished a nice holiday break and the hint of the next long break is a mere speck in the lens of the future. But in my mind, those are all the precise reasons to make these days glimmer and shine for our students. After all, you've heard the saying, "If mama's not happy, ain't nobody happy!" That holds true for the classroom, perhaps exponentially considering the number of students in your crew. 

And so, it becomes imperative to answer the question, "Why the discontent?" Spend time around schools or do some reading and you will notice any number of reasons for people to be unhappy in education...not enough contact time to teach the hefty curriculum, not enough common planning time with co-workers, too many reports to write, grading woes, student (mis)behavior, parental (lack of) support, the list goes on and on. This type of discontent, as you know, leads to the wandering eye of infidelity. I have heard much talk of how much more abundantly people are paid in other districts, how other schools have more planning periods built in and how others get release time to write reports and IEP's. Oh, how that grass is so much greener! This type of lamenting will do nothing but fill you with misery and lead you to forgetting your purpose.

Further, those messages of misery are likely not at all related to your purpose we discussed three paragraps ago. Remember that purpose? Did it have anything to do with making a lot of money, writing reports or grading? I sure hope not! I would bet your purpose had something to do with children, relationships, teaching and forging connections. It's imperative that we avoid toxic complaining about things that are unrelated to our purpose as educators. We have too much important work to do! 

I for one, am working right where I want to be, with a staff that is unparalleled in kindness, empathy for students, knowledge of student emotional needs and devotion to the craft of teaching. Why would I want to go anywhere else? More pay? More planning time? Lighter curriculum? None can outweigh what I have where I am. Is my district perfect? Nope. But it is a place full of potential and hope and people who truly love children. That is all irreplaceable and in direct correlation to my purpose as a teacher! And so, I make it work. I bring paperwork home to do at my kitchen table or I stay beyond the constraints of the school bell to complete what needs to be done. I find time to catch up with my colleagues to discuss best practice. And if I have a complaint about how things are being done, you better believe my gripe is followed up with ideas for improvement accompanied by my volunteering to take the lead.

This past summer a zinnia grew in a place where it got me to thinking. Along with the lilac which I love for it's tantalizing scent, the zinnia is my favorite flower for its vibrant beauty. Well, this zinnia that appeared seemingly out of nowhere provided another reason for this type of flower to hold a first place slot in my mind...strength of purpose. The zinnia didn't show up in a flower bed or along my garden plot. Take another look at that picture at the beginning of this post. It showed up in the crevice between the blacktop of the street and the curb that surrounds my property. It was beautifully out of place! Shades of red, blending into orange there for all to see and enjoy as they walked or drove along their way. It was a reminder to bloom right where we are planted...in the unlikeliest, most imperfect of places, in the crevices and in the challenging spots, because we can never know what joy and beauty we might bring to those who witness our strength of character, our love of life and our fidelity of purpose when we take the chance and time to bloom.