Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Are You the One?

Are You the One?

Are you the one to whom I can send my child in the morning and know that he will be listened to, cared about and loved?

Are you the one who will understand my child, sit with her when she misses me, and hand her crayons as an invitation to draw a picture for comfort.

Are you the one who is always able to answer 
respect with respect, 
kindness with kindness, 
love with love, 
and disrespect with 
respect, kindness, and love?

Are you the one who greets my child with a smile even just moments after leaving your own difficulties, struggles and challenges.

Are you the one who will not critique me as a parent, but will work with me and guide me in the ways necessary to help my child?

Are you the one to whom I can turn when I don't know how to help my own child?

Are you the one who will not give up on my child even when he thinks he is worthless?

Are you the one who will not judge?

Are you the one who took the extra time to talk with the group about what we might feel at a time like this? Who helped us put into words the feelings that grip our souls? Who gave my child the language necessary to express feelings that were foreign and new so that she could release the angst inside?

I feel heaviness on my heart.
I feel a sadness so deep it is frightening.
I feel I just can't take it anymore.
I feel I want to help but I don't know how.
I feel guilty for how I treated him.

Are you the one who wonders what more you could have done?

Don't be afraid...

Don't miss your chance...

Don't neglect the calling to...

Be the one. 
                 Be the one. 
                                  Be the one.  

Even though you are scared and hurt and grieving, 
Even though you don't know what to say,
Even though you wish you could escape, 
Even though you want to give up, 
Don't. 
Please don't. 
Instead, be the one my child can trust.
Be the one. 

Please. 

There may be no one else.
You may be the only one 
who can

 Be the one.