Tuesday, June 4, 2019

It's As Simple As That

I thought it might be helpful to post some simple stories and ideas to strike up conversation and last minute learning in the classroom over the next few posts. A lighthearted musing is my goal...let's see how I do.

Today we took a trip to the zoo.  It was an exciting day for our students, many of whom had never been to the zoo before.  As with most events of which I am blessed to be a part, the trip prompted my mind to start thinking and in the end, one theme prevailed...It's good to be simple.

I am a simple person.  This is not a revelation to me or anyone who knows me well.  Simple is not only my preferred method of living, it is my natural tendency.  For me, simple is good.  Simple is preferred.  Simple solves a lot of the strife and stress caused by life's complicated nature.  But what exactly does it mean to be simple?  And why does it matter, especially in education?

To answer this, I want to ask you another question that came up repeatedly today with my students, and one that perhaps you will approach with your students as a result of this post.

 "What is your favorite animal?"

Well, do you have one?  I know you are likely older than most middle school students and well beyond the days of having favorite animals, colors, songs, etc...but take a moment and consider, if you were to have this conversation tomorrow with a room full of school-aged children what would your answer be and more importantly, why would you choose that animal?

I have a favorite animal, and my students already knew it.  It is an animal that gets a bad rap...one that will never be found in a traditional zoo, and one that I doubt many of the readers sharing these words with us would choose. My favorite animal is the donkey, and I will stick by my decision regardless of the chuckles it creates.  That is because the donkey is not only my favorite animal, but it stands for so much that I strive to create in my life, most of all, simplicity.

The donkey is simple. There is no glamour, no sparkle, no pizazz about the donkey. It's color, stature and demeanor are all non-assuming. But my affinity with the donkey goes deeper. It does not complain or tire easily, even with hard work. It gives its all, then gives some more if necessary. The donkey is sure and steady, dedicated and faithful.  Sure, its strong-will has earned it the reputation of being stubborn, but really that's just another way to describe 'determined'. What's not to love!?

My father was a Pennsylvania Mennonite.  His family lived without many of the luxuries others in our culture found to be necessities. The absence of excess that surrounded these people always impressed upon me the beauty of simplicity in living.  Those who know me know that I drink my coffee black, allow my hair to gracefully grow into gray and live in a house boasting it's original woodwork walls and well-water. I am a person who prefers no extra steps, accepts life as it comes and enjoys the littlest of things as if they were all there is.

I challenge you to consider what your daily routine would look like if you were to truly embrace simplicity in its purest form. Of what could you let go in order to more simply enjoy the treasure that is the teaching life? Gossip about co-workers or administration?  Envy of what other districts offer or own? The need to be perfect?  The need to have perfect students? You know the list...the list of things that holds you back from focusing on what really matters. I challenge you to let it all go. 

Simplicity as a way of life embraces at its core that which is important and builds everything else up around it. Children are the single most important aspect of school!  It really is that simple. They are the core of education around which everything else is built. Tomorrow let's keep it simple and build the day around the students. Consider having a conversation about favorite animals. Once they are listed, look them up for symbolism and lore. You might find out that your favorite animal has something to teach you. You'll likely find out that their favorite animal has something to teach your students. And together, you will all certainly find out that being simple together is what relationship is all about.